Saturday, March 28, 2009

I am Samurai

Today was a very fun day. Met new people, learned a lot of things, and of course took a lot of pictures! I also had a chance to model and let me say this, props to models! it's harder than I thought and tiring.

The photographers I was with were more nature, and still photographers so it was hard for us to work with models and also be models. I'm still very inexperienced when directing models/people for my pictures and I usually go with the flow. I have a lot to learn with people photography. Here are the results for today's shoot.













Note: All non-watermarked photos were taken by Mark Su, one of the fellow photographers who was with me. Photos were edited by me. [Used my camera because the D200 had the fastest frame per second to catch some 'action scenes'.

What I Learned
- Modeling is HARD, I'll stay behind the lens thank you very much
- When looking at someone directly in the eyes for that serious 'I want to win this fight' stare, to keep a straight face look at the other person's forehead. It looks like you're looking at their eyes, but not really. Cause looking directly at their eyes will just make you laugh lol.
- Directing models is HARD, but with enough practice and guidance it'll be easier.
- Working with two people is a lot harder that one (obvious).
- You learn better in groups.
- I had two SB600's today and tried to do some cross-lighting. Cross-lighting is difficult to pull off. I'll stick to a single one for now and master it.
- Nikon CLS works farther than I thought (roughly 20-25ft), as long as the camera sees the infrared sensor. I think I will stick with this for now, I don't want to lose Sync FP for faster shutter-speeds in broad daylight.

What I want to Learn
- Editing like Chase Jarvis, and Martin Prohida photos. Mainly that dark, shadowy look, yet sharp.

Examples
- Martin Prihoda Editing 1
- Martin Prihoda Editing 2
- Chase Jarvis Edit

From my current knowledge:
- a lot is based on the lighting
- Unsharp mask filter in photoshop
- Dodging and burning

Other than that, I'm stuck, if you guys can link me on some tutorials or can help me out comment or email me raymon.atienza@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

sakaigirl said...

Which model is Raymon,hehe.. I like the 1st, 2nd and last pics..not easy.

Raymon Atienza said...

Thanks!

I'm in three of the pictures but you can't see my face.
- Picture 2: I'm the one kneeling down
- Picture 3: Bottom left corner of the picture
- Picture 4: The one on the left.

I didn't take those shots (obviously hehe)

sakaigirl said...

Haha, i must have knw it ^^
Raymon is a shy guy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Raymon,

In regards to the editing for the look in this photo:

http://blog.photoshelter.com/image/black_man_460-thumb-400x533.jpg

A lot of it is lighting but one neat Photoshop trick is called "High Pass Filter". It's like USM on steriods. Check it out.

Spencer