Sunday, March 15, 2009

Railroad Photography

I was at a family party today at a restaurant where I knew a railroad was located beside it. My brother and cousin’s wanted a new photo for their facebook profiles and I always wanted to try photos with railroad tracks. So after we ate, we left the restaurant and headed to the railroad. I like how the railroad are directly parallel and put some kind of symmetry in photos. Also the rocks that were scattered around the photos added a really nice texture in the photos. Today wasn’t the best day for lighting because the sun was high up and it was really harsh lighting. The weather on the other hand was really nice, not too cold and not too windy. These were my results.





On the last picture I lost all the detail on my cousin’s jeans. I totally forgot to look at my histogram when I was shooting, and I also forgot to change it back to RAW and I was shooting at JPEG (doh!).

Things I Learned

* Direct Sunlight photography isn't that bad.
* High-Sync Flash can make a bright day into a dark day (as I learned from my Strobist note)
* When shooting at a railroad, do not do it near a station where a station security guard can kick you out (lol).
* When shooting a model who is lying down, don't be afraid to get in the same level.
* ALWAYS check camera settings before taking your first picture (Nikon D200 changes QUAL to large fine jpeg when resetted, I always shoot RAW).

6 comments:

sakaigirl said...

Wow!! Great Pics!! I like the 1st photograph best! May i ask which camera are u using? If u don't mind, please reply at my blog.thanx^^

sakaigirl said...

Thanx for your info, Raymond! I'm thinking of buying a DSLR camera.. I'm always stunned by what photographer's view.. which always reflects in their work.. So do you! Need to know which is the suitable camera for an amateur like me.. Get to know the price and start saving for one...haha

sakaigirl said...

Thanx, Raymond.. I'll do my research through this website. I have favour for Canon. Maybe it's because my first camera is Canon Digital IXUS 80IS.. I'll sure ask for Your advice before I buy my next camera. Thanx for mentoring me, how lucky I am ^^

sakaigirl said...

I wana appologize to u, Raymon.. I spelled ur name wrongly, Twice.. (*_*)" I shall not repeat my mistakes!

Anonymous said...

Hi Raymon,

Nice photo shoot session! I really dread to shoot out in the harsh sun and it looks like you did really well in bad conditions.

Do you mind if I give you any positive critiques on some of your posing selections and lighting setups? I promise they will be positive and helpful in the future!

:D

Spencer

Raymon Atienza said...

Thanks for visiting my old/new blog lol. I can totally understand about the lack of updates/time/ whichever, I feel the same pain being in electrical engineering too (haha read your about me).

As for positive critique I honestly do not mind and actually was hoping you would give them lol, I really enjoy your photos and always try to learn from them.

PS I’m a newbie in the blog scene, so I didn’t know how to properly reply to your comment at blogger. I thought this was the best way for me to do it.